4.9.05

work application

Just went through a very harrowing experience this evening. I filled out an application via the Internet. Who ever designed that application form ought to be shot! There was absolutely no wiggle room for unique information. In fact, every piece of info had its own little box allowing only a certain number of charcters. The name of my school in Israel was too long for its box and I had to think of a creative way to write it down. Then they wanted to know the city and state of my last employer- well number one, it was a volunteer position but there certainly wasn't room to add that. Number two, he lived overseas! That also meant I couldn't use him for a reference because his foreign phone number had the wrong number of digits.

After creatively filling out that section of the application I was then asked to respond to 37 pages of personality-evaluating statements like this: " Do people do annoying things?" Here were the possible responses: strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree. Or how is this one: "Do your family members like the things you are doing?" Good night! What things? or this: "Are lots of people mean to you?" What is that supposed to prove to them? or this: "Do lots of people argue with you?" You better believe it, baby!

I went through the whole 37 pages with either Lisa or Rachel on the phone (thank goodness for Verizon to Verizon!) to help me. I was supposed to answer them all impulsively, and I am sure that didn't include phone conferencing with sisters! Oh well.

The last problem arrived after I had completed the personality grilling. To answer it I actually called two different people and still had to look online:

"Have you, your spouse, or your parents received AFCD recently?"

there was no translation, and my choices were yes and no. Daddy had no idea what it was. If you don't know what it was, how can you have it? Right? Is it a disease, a traffic violation ticket of some sort? A tattoo received on leaving the Federal Pen.? A lottery prize? An relative of Ebola virus?

Any guesses?

Anyway, I am finally done the exhausting process, my application is in the mail (or the airwaves), and I hope they like me because I need the job soon. :-)

3 comments:

Booker said...

Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation
Department?

that is all i could think of. so you're gonna have to tell us what it was. And waht is the job for? or is it secret so then you'd have to kill us?

:)

maldrich said...

American Federal Craziness Distibutions???

Kate said...

Yes, chatul, I do speak Hebrew, but only at aleph + level in the ulpan system.

AFDC stands for Aid for Families with Dependent Children, otherwise know as Welfare. :-)