21.5.11

Sabbath

When I was a child and all through my growing-up years we kept a Sabbath on Saturday. We observed this day of rest from Friday night at sundown to Saturday night at sundown. But really ovbservence started Friday morning, or even before...

We planned the week so that nothing ended up on Saturday that involved work, or much travel or committment. Friday after school was done we devoted our time to cleaning up the house completely. We had Friday-cleaning lists and the house would buzz with activity all the way until sundown. Often the lawn would be mowed that day as well. If I shut my eyes the memories come back in the form of sensory information- the smell of cleaner from the bathroom, the sound of the washing machine thumping from the laundry room, the sound of somebody snapping the wrinkles out of towels before they fold and put them away, crisp clean sheets on the beds, one of the boys vaccuuming the upstairs hall, Megan outside on the riding lawn mower- her hair in a bandana, singing loudly, the smell of cut grass, the smell of cinnamon rolls in the oven.
Our bodies tired from honest labor we would all rush about as the sun got lower, clean up, put on something nice if we felt inclined, or our night clothes if we felt tired.
We would gather in the living room for a little meeting- the only one where we were allowed to fall asleep if we wanted to. Sometimes we would bring a blanket and pillow and curl up on the floor. Somebody lit candles and left them burning on the coffee table- the overhead lights were off and everything was quiet except the hum of the dishwasher in the kitchen.

There were cinnamon rolls waiting on the kitchen counter, and a bowl of popcorn as well. Keeping 8 children still for long was a miracle, but somehow the atmosphere of peace would settle over the room. We prayed, and sang, and went around the room saying what we were thankful for from the past week. We laughed and talked in a relaxed way, and when we'd had enough Mum brought in Sabbath treat and we ate it. Someitmes we would leave to do our own things, but sometimes we would sit around the living room drawing or playing with toys while Daddy or I read out loud.

Sound idyllic? It was... sometimes. Of course sometimes we didn't want to be there, were bored, restless, cranky, or the meeting went too long. But that's just life.

I have continued to keep the Sabbath all my life. It is wrapped up in my soul I guess, and I can't get it out. :-)

Its an easy thing to see as just an out-of-date command, but I was just thinking on this Sabbath of all the lessons I have learned about the character of God from keeping this day.....

"For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are but dust." Ps. 103:14
I don't know about you, but I love this verse. I feel dusty sometimes, or dust-like. I can't keep up with the demands of life. Endless needs, endless work, endless cycle. We need something to break the cycle- to make it livable. A good friend of mind was talking about this. She has eight children, a hard-working husband who runs two businesses out of her home, and a small farm to boot. The work is endless. But Friday night she closes the phone message book, pulls the paperwork together, shuts off the office phone, closes the door on all her cleaning impliments and all her obligations, gathers her children about her and stops. It helps her feel that the task is not endless. Each week has an end, and her body can catch up.

" Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that
your ox and your donkey may rest and the slave born in your household, and
the alien as well, may be refreshed.


God desires our fellowship. I think of the Sabbath as a day apart, a holy day, but not in a solemn way as much as a joyful celebratory way. God desires our company. In this space of time we can set aside the mundane worries of the week and take time to be still and know that He is God. I'm not very good at doing that on my own. I would naturally rush on through life and arrive at the Gate of heaven breathless and exhausted. But God wants our attention frequently and to make sure of it, commands us to keep a day of rest. Its right up there with not killing people or committing adultery. :-)


I think he thought of me when he commanded rest and stillness. I wouldn't do it otherwise.

The Sabbath also makes me have hope for the future. Just the way it ends each week with celebration and peace, so I expect God to bring an end to this world- and bring with that end celebration and peace. The hope of the coming of the Lord. Each Sabbath bring a taste of that- an anticipation of better things to come.

I could keep on going... when have I ever lacked for things to talk about? But anyway, I am thankful for the Sabbath, for the fellowship of God, for peace, for joy, celebration, and anticipation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know if you come by and check on these or not but this was very well writen. Thanks for sharing. I'm a single mom who goes to church. I like your pov.

gretchen said...

Katie, this was beautiful! A lovely tribute to a lovely gift--this post is a way of honoring the Sabbath!

On this Sabbath night nearly two years after you wrote it, my spirit is blessed and refreshed by reading it. Thank you so much!