10.3.05

Of Boosh and Backs

So, today I went to my Hebrew class again and sat in the front row (only because I was late) between a Jordainian Jew and a Polish priest. The Jew is probably 20 and quite a joker and the priest is very quite and polite. So on one side I have a boy chewing gum in my ear, throwing things across the room in into the trash can, doodling on the desks, and making jokes which I can't help laughing at, and on the other side I have a young man asking me serious questions in a polite voice and a very foreign accent. "How do you say back in Hebrew?" "What? Back?" I say in confusion- the exercise we are currently sweating over is all about big and small cakes and old ladies carrying small bags while big men carry big bags. Very exciting, but nothing to do with backs. The priest is chagrined but tries again- "Back, you know...." and he points to the illustration of the big men with big... backs!" Oh now I get it! "Bag!" Cheerfully he repeats the word after me in a forced American accent and we laugh.

Speaking of pronunciation- did you know that our President's last name isn't really Bush? It is Booosh (say that "u" as if you were oooohing over something). Very interesting.

I was going to run a spellcheck on this, but it seems to be having difficuties. Sorry. :-)

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Katie darling! What a nice surprise to get a comment from you on my humble blog. You made my day! Don't worry about me-my moods probably come out stronger on the screen.:) But I do wish I was over there with you..basking in the sun.

Mrs. RF said...

Hi Katie- I enjoyed Boosh and Backs!

Mrs. RF said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.