5.8.05

Three Books

I love to read!! Recently I have been too overtired to read anything remotely brainy, so I have been living on a diet of Agatha Christie, Mary Stewart, D.E. Stevenson, and Tintin. But I decided to stiffen up my reading muscles a bit with some wholegrain reading. This aim was helped immensely by a couple trips to different libraries- I have absolutely stacks of books and no time to read them! But it seems to be bearing fruit- I felt a returning zest for reading.

So of course I have to talk about what I am reading! Right? Well, anyway I am going to, in hopes that it inspires, blesses, or cheers up others.

Here are the first three, two old friends and one unknown.

The House of Sixty Fathers by Meindert DeJong
North to Freedom by Ann Holm
The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman

The House of Sixty Fathers is something you find in the children's section of the library, but its a chapter book, not a picture book. DeJong was originally from the Netherlands (hence the rather odd name), but he lives in the US now, and writes in English.
This book is about a small boy living in China under the Japanese occupation...

Blast, maybe this is why I never started writing book reviews. I am horrible at it! If you call me up on the phone, or wait until you see me, I could give you earnest and heartfelt reasons why you would like it, or at least why you should read it. But I can't on paper. Especially when the length of my nails is interfering with my typing.

So anyway, its about a boy named Tien Pao and his pet pig Glory-of-the-Republic, and it is sweet and funny, and a bit happy/sad if you are tired, and it doesn't take too many brains to read, but is still good despite the simple English. So read it.

On to the next:
North to Freedom
Also a children's chapter book, translated from some Northern language. This is a step or two up from The House of Sixty Fathers. Actually its a personal favorite. I think I've read it at least three times.

It's about a boy named David who grew up in a prison camp situation and is suddenly freed from it when he is nearly twelve. The story followes his flight, and encounter with things he has only heard about (music and bright colors, babies, oranges) and people's response to his oddities. I do usually cry at the end of this book, but that isn't saying much. I cry all the time, at the drop of a hat, and for a wide variety of reasons. :-)

Lastly:
The World is Flat
Thomas Friedman just wrote this one. His other books are From Beirut to Jerusalem, The Lexus and the Olive Tree, and Longitude and Attitude. Most definitely a liberal, a journalist for the New York Times. I have only read From Beirut to Jerusalem, which book confused me, but actually made the brain cells stretch with a bit of healthy exercise. He certainly knows how to write, even if he is mixed up.

I would love anybody's input on this last book, and Thomas Friedman himself.

There, now I can get off, and go read my book.
By the way, anybody notice that the link to my comments is split up by the dateline? It happened when I made the date appear in Hebrew and I'm not sure how to fix it and still keep the Hebrew.

My editor has just checked this post over for "gross errors" and has pronounced it "a little incoherent, but good." I think that would make an excellent byline for this blog, and maybe my life as well. Maybe I'll write my autobiography and title it: A Little Incoherent, But Good, the life and times of Kathryn the Great.
Good night one and all! Don't stay up too much later, you all need your beauty sleep! (this is getting more disjointed and odd by the moment. must leave now).

21 comments:

Booker said...

New Blog Template, eh? I wasn't sure if it was yours at first, then i saw the hebrew, so I knew it had to be...

Kate said...

It isn't staying. I don't really like it, but I like to change around periodically so I don't get tired of the plain black (which I mostly like). Wish I was smart like Brad so I could add pictures to the title or something. Maybe I'll see if Daniel can help me spruce it up.

brilynne said...

Hooray for books. I have read the first two mentioned and was deeply touched by them. Will have to check out the third.

By the way,I've decided now that highschool is over I must become a reader again. So far I've read The Great Gatsby and The African Queen, both of which depressed and disgusted me to one extent or another. I'm giving good old Greek guys a go now. Should be interesting.

Kate said...

I am not necessarily recommending the third one, Bria. So far, so good, but I don't know how it will go on.

drewey fern said...

Yay for you, Bria! I read the Great Gatsby so long ago that I don't really remember it very well, but I was interested to learn in this past year of college that Gatsby is an Emersonian hero. So that shows how much we can trust Emerson's world view! And I'm right there with you and the old Greek guys - I keep being amazed at how much translates into modern civilization. There are definitely some bridges across time there.

And Melanie, I very much enjoyed the book Just David!

Oh ya, Katie, to whom this blog belongs: Thanks for the recommendations! I generally trust your judgement, except on HMS Whatever, by MacLean, and Florence Barclay, and Wuthering Heights. Hee hee hee.

Booker said...

What?!? You dis Wuthering Heights? Have you no soul? No emotions? As tough as that book was, as unloveable as the characters were, how could you read it and not be moved by the sheer raw emotion of the whole story? You stone. Maybe your prof was right :) hahahahaha

Kristi said...

Wuthering Heights is an awful story! So depressing and pointless.

TripleNine said...

Hey, I really like the new picture! I'm afraid I haven't read any of the ones you are recommending but I would have to agree with Ryu about Wuthering Heights. Tough but definitely worth the read.

CKS said...

To jump to my friend's defense...

I believe Andrea is the one who loves Wuthering Heights, and Katie is the one who despises it. Am I correct? But Katie loves HMS Ulysses and Andrea hates it. It's all confusing, but I've been around for these book discussions before. So katie is the emotionless stone, I guess. (hey, I'm only repeating what ryu said and applying it to the proper recipient!)

brilynne said...

I'm thinking of giving Wuthering Heights another go. It left me with a bad taste last time, but methinks it may be worth another try.

As to HMS Ulysses? *gag* But perhaps I must try that again also, for I didn't even finish it.

Kate said...

That's right Craig, I am the 'emotionless stone' that hated Wuthering Heights, but loved HMS Ulysses and hate, well, dislike Florence Barclay.
And I'm not even sure I would like HMS Ulysses anymore. It's been years since I last read it, or W.H. for that matter. Here's another few classics that I dislike, so you can all bash me somemore: Persuation by Jane Austin, Oliver Twist and Great Expections.

Booker said...

*CRIES OF OUTRAGE* *MOBS STORMING CASTLES* *ETC, ETC*

I CANT believe it! When I read your list, I just gasped "WHAT?!?" in a screechy little voice. I am stunned and can't even properly reply.

Well, I guess it is differences like that that make the world go round.

PS, Andrea, I apologize for misnomering you. Kate, I DON'T for you!! Not now that I know the truth! :)

drewey fern said...

Sorry for opening that can of worms, Katie, but somehow I don't think you're too upset:)

As for Thomas Friedman - I read his book for Mideast History class (Beirut to Jerusalem, that is) and found it fascinating. He was not as pro-Israel as I would have liked, and some things he said were downright annoying, but at the same time I feel like he broadened my horizons a bit, and helped me to see the complexity of the situation. Also, he's an excellent writer. Very interesting read.

Anonymous said...

Wait - Katie loves David Copperfield, the Brothers Karamazov, and all other known Jane Austen! Right, K? So don't holler too loudly, folks. She is not against all classics...just a discerning and unique reader.

-the big sis

PS Fern, I agree with your assessment of Thomas Freidman. Can he ever make an abstruse concept crystal clear! What a writer! Too bad he's a liberal, but there's still plenty to learn from him, I think.

Kate said...

Yes well, all true. And if it helps any Derrick ( O consumate lover of Dickens), I even read and enjoyed Barnaby Rudge. David Copperfield is high up on my list of favorite books as well. I love Dickens, and I am not even saying that Oliver Twist and Great Expectations were poorly written- the are excellent books. I just didn't happen to like them.

And about Thomas Friedman- I think he is my favorite liberal. He is an excellent wordsmith. Maybe because his writing is so clear and easy to understand, it makes it easier to seperate the wheat from the chaff in his books. At least that is what I am hoping for. If I start exibiting symptoms of liberal thinking just let me know.

drewey fern said...

Your favorite liberal. Hee hee, that's funny. I'll have to think up who my favorite liberal is so we can compare notes:)

redsoxwinthisyear said...

I vote for Allan Combs as my favorite lib. Although sometimes annoying, at least he's articulate and half way reasonable. And Hannity gets along with him, so he can't be too bad.

Booker said...

My fav liberal is ol' Pete Jennings. Hahahahhaa...

Kate said...

Derrick! That was not nice! :-)

CKS said...

Derrick, was that in the spirit of "The only good liberal is a..." well, you know.

Booker said...

Hurrah! However, my first thot when I heard the news was "God have mercy on his soul, he's gonna need it". So see, I committed him to God's mercy first. Then I beat up on him, posthumously :)