13.7.06

Laughing in the Dentist's Chair

Today I went straight from work to a dentist appointment. I hate dentists. I loathe them with a bitter and deep-seated loathing surpassed only by my loathing of burnt rice at the bottom of cooking pots.

But that isn't really what I wanted to write about. I'm going to focus on the one gem of humor in the middle of my otherwise rather torturous imprisonment in the dentist's chair.

So I was sitting in the Dentist's 'Lazy Boy' (sadistic sense of humor she has) with the worthy medico fishing about in my mouth. Suddenly she said "Oh my!" and my heart sank.

"Have you been sick recently?" This question didn't do much to relieve my fears.

"Ummm, no, I haven't."

"Because your tonsil is very large!"

"Oh." What does that mean? And wait, don't I have two of them? What about the other one?

She called a friend over. Suddenly I had not one but two curious dentists peering down my throat and exclaiming over the size of my tonsils.

"Wow! I've never seen one as big as that."

"It's really huge!"

Then they haggled over who I should have look at it to make sure it wasn't wildly infected or something. Yes, but what if I just have naturally big tonsils?

Anyway, the upshot to my impromtu throat viewing is that I have to go back in two weeks when the resident oral surgeon is in residence (possibly indicated by a large flag hanging outside the building and bearing the image of two pairs of pliers rampant). He will also peer down my throat to view the phenomenon and pronounce me either dead before dinner or just the possessor of really big tonsils.

But don't come asking to see them.

14 comments:

Claire said...

"...pliers rampant..." ??!!! Oh you funny girl! You have made my day! My funny bone has been thoroughly and deliciously tickled.

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Whew! I'm glad I'm not a dentist and only a lowly cowpoke... ...tonsil? Sounds sorta like a Native American musical instrument you bang on with a stick... 8~D

Christie said...

congratulations! you now have a national landmark on your very own body! :)

lis said...

Okay, Kate, that was very, very funny!

maldrich said...

Hehe, I wanna see the big tonsil monster!

Kristi said...

Oh, I can't totally sympathize and empathize with the hatred of dentists! I mean, I don't hate my dentist, but I hate having dental work down. And of course I've had a lot done.
Hope your tonsils are okay!

TripleNine said...

Nothing to worry about. I had several dentists advise my parents to remove my tonsils (because of their size) and it never happened. And I've never had any problems. Just chew your food thoroughly. :)

TripleNine said...

Happy Birthday! Glad that you are in the New England area and that things seem to be going so well for you. Trust that God leads you into the very best, and many other birthday wishes. Hope it's been a great day!

Booker said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it was a good day...

Shay Dawg said...

Happy Birthday..God bless you on this day!

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Happy Birthday Katie Girl!!! 8~)

Cheech said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
I hope you have an awesome year!!:}

Linds said...

Yup - a day late and several dollars short, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PRECIOUS FRIEND!!
(And this post made me laugh! :) I share your complete and utter loathing/fear of dentists!)

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Large tonsils? That's hilarious! (That is, provided it's not a sign of some deadly sickness...)