22.2.06

pro-Bush, republican, pro-Israel

I have discovered an evil side to customer service- one has to be nice all the time. Sigh. When I am sick I think my tolerance level for stupidity, meanness and fools in general goes down about a hundred points.

The other day I some lady was just plain rude to me. She was impatient, unsmiling, and talked to me like I was stupid. One side of me quietly served her, smiled, spoke cheerfully while the other was irritated almost to the point of anger. "She has NO RIGHT to talk like that to anybody! Didn't her mother ever teach her the law of basic kindness? Doesn't she know that she isn't the only person on this globe? Good night, she needs a spanking! I sure would have gotten wupped for that!" Me and my highly developed sense of justice. Someday I'm afraid its going to get the better of me, and I'm going to get fired.

Anyway, putting the rude ones aside, there is another frustrating class of people whom I find facing me across the counter- the outspoken liberal. Some comment or other sets them off, and there they are expounding anti-Bush principles to the smiling cashier. Of course she agrees, of course she loves to hear me say ignorant things about Israeli peace, of course she can have no objection to liberal principles. Who in their right mind does?

Today a customer told me how they had known another employee for years- and had had many a cheerful political discussion with her. He was always trying to convince her how bad those horrible Republicans were. He never did convinced her. Duh.

The only thing close to as irritating is when Yankee fans come in and expect me to serve them with a smile.

9 comments:

melrandall said...

I feel your pain. Today I found a flyer for a political website on my windshield that said something like, "who will win out, left or right?" with a donkey and, assumably, an elephant. The problem was that the elephant and the word "right" were torn off. Since mine was the only car around with the flyer, I assume it an intentional response to my proud lil Bush sticker. All I can say is, "oooh... GOOD one."

Sorry for taking over -- GREAT POST! I love your writing; it's so YOU... indignant "good night!"s included. :)

CKS said...

Suggested solution: invest in a tiny, under-the-counter sized bottle of strychnine. You can smile and hold your peace, not saying a single nasty word, just making some little pouring gesture when they're not looking, and you will ALWAYS have the last word! :-) Success to the brave!

Claire said...

Reminds me of when my dental hygenist commented that I was probably as bummed out as she was over the elections
(2004)...and I was like, " Um, actually...NO." And that was that. Although it was a bit like taking my life in my hands, seeing as how she was maneuvering sharp instruments inside my mouth. Heh.

Booker said...

yeah, seeing as how your such a diehard redsox fan...

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Funny how the rubbing up against other folks affects us. For some folks the rub seems to sour or embitter and others their understanding and sweetness grows. You are one of those whose sweetness is growing...

Brenda Jo said...

When these "children" are done with their tirade, just say, "Would you like a lollipop?"

Silas said...

What's so bad about Yankee fans? Most liberals I know are Sox fans - John Kerry, Stephen King (official historian for the R.S may I add...) Teddy Kennedy... the list goes on... and on..... Adolf Hitler... Pol Pot... Joseph Stalin...

Repent!

Booker said...

yeah, what he said...

TripleNine said...

It is interesting how some jobs are thought of as lower by a lot of people. I noticed it when I worked for a day labor company. It is almost as if you stop being a person and are simply a nametag and apron or part of the broom.
Good thing to remember and learn from I guess.