16.10.06

I have been messing about in the Valley of the Kings, learning how to mummify someone, exploring the interior of the Great Pyramid, and otherwise soaking up Egpyt. This is what I have to say: heathen though they most certainly were, they had a gift for beauty in design and detail. I hope God had some of them design part of my mansion in heaven.

This is one of the most delightful things I have found:

compilation of various inscriptions describing the Queen Nefertiti (her husband was responsible for changing the national religion from polytheism to monothesism- a step in the right direction, I suppose. I think she lived roughly the time of the Judges);

Heiress, Great of Favour, Possessed of Charm, Exuding Happiness, Mistress of Sweetness, beloved one, soothing the king's heart in his house, soft-spoken in all, Mistress of Upper and Lower Egypt, Great King's Wife, whom he loves, Lady of the Two Lands, Nefertiti.

Suddenly she seemed like a real person.

No comments: