11.4.05

Honesty in Hebrew

How things do complicate themselves in a second language! Today I had to run a small errand of honesty- I bought some groceries the other day including two small yogurts. All very good. A day or so later Lisa informed that I had paid for only one of the yogurts. I am afraid that my first response was "What possessed you to sit down and translate the silly receipt?!"
I know, I know, not exactly a Christ-like response. Anticipating a conversation in Hebrew isn't very far removed from anticipating a battle- you plan verbal tactics, think up every eventuality, run scenarios through in your mind, and get butterflies as you walk onto the battle field.
A receipt in English can be cryptic, a receipt in Hebrew is, well, let's just say that one cannot just casually glance it, say, "Yep, that's the one," and away you go. So we temporarily mislaid the thing, and what with one thing and another, it was just today that I actually got the correct receipt in my pocketbook, gathered my mental reserve, and headed for the grocery store.
Practically speaking, people who work at grocery stores usually don't have much in the way of a second language. I mean, if they did, why would they be a checkout clerk? But not so in Israel! The majority of grocery store checkouts seem to be manned by middle-aged Russian ladies with ginger-colored hair and two languages- Russian and Hebrew. Which is nice, but does me no good.
I went to the customer service desk first and asked the lady at the counter (which was about chin level) if she spoke English. She shook her head no with a sad little half-smile.
This is what the following conversation in Hebrew sounded like: "I am here before, and I write... no, I buy two yogurts (I pull out the receipt as a prop), but here there is only one (point to the receipt). I want to give you more money."
"Okay," she says, "You want to give more money? Go over there." She gestures to the checkout line. Blast.
I went the long way round, picked up a few things I needed, as well as one yogurt for the clerk to scan.
"Hi, do you speak English?"
"No."
"Okay, (in Hebrew) I have two yogurts, but here (point to the receipt) is only one. I want to give you more money."
"I don't understand, here there are three chocolates.." She says, looking at the wrong item on the receipt.
"No, there, one yogurt." I say, leaning over and trying to locate the word 'yogurt' in Hebrew, upside down. "I have two, but here is only one," I say again.
"You have two?"
"Yes."
"Okay."
Well, that wasn't so hard after all!
The deed is done, the battle won, the yogurt scanned and set aside (I don't want any more right now, thank you), money paid, and off I go. But first, I double-check my new receipt...

2 comments:

Claire said...

WOW! I am impressed. Looking at a receipt in Hebrew UPSIDE DOWN ( while you were in line) and finding the word yogurt?! It's bad enough to do an errand like that in English!

Tons o'love to you and Lisa...

Linds said...

Abe Lincoln would be oh-so-proud!
Love you :)