27.4.05

So Thanks

I taught my class and did just fine. I should never worry about things and then write a post about them long after my bedtime.

I talked for 40 minutes all about the Atlanta airport and how to navigate it in English. I even found myself dealing unexpectedly with class discipline (an aspect of teaching I assumed I wouldn't have to deal with in a classroom of sedate ladies). One of my 'students' became intrigued with the various usages of the word 'terminal', and how I had explained it. She kept making bright comments about people being terminally ill in the airport terminal, and wondering where you began your flight, if the terminal was the end of it. Pretty soon she had dragged Sandy (my instructor) into it, and my classroom dissolved into laughter. Twenty minutes into my new 'career' as an English teacher, and I had already lost control of the situation!

It was actually a very relaxed way to begin teaching- a dry run where you could stop and discuss methods, spelling, pronunciation, and definitions with the others. At the end everybody critiqued me, but since it was all women nothing particularly harsh was said.

We also scheduled our student teaching for the next two months. Soon I will be standing in front of real students, and I had really must find a better way of defining the word 'terminal.'

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT!!!! "...since it was all women nothing particularly harsh was said." (I should introduce you to my first speech teacher)That is the most rid...oh, wait...ur, um, well, Hey, I'm glad to hear that your class went well.

Booker said...

Yo Brando, I'm assuming A.? cause you're crosslinked to the home page of Brandon, Manitoba :-) might want to change your blog email address thingy. Unless I'm way off and the whole town of Brandon is now watching Kate's blog experience :-)

Kate said...

Yeah! What Derrick said!

Anonymous said...

I did that on purpose, silly people, because I wanted my name to be blue and underlined also.

Linds said...

Good for you, Katie!! I'm proud of you :) Now we can swap trainer stories... Oh the endless hours of fun we'll have...

Booker said...

Silly brandon. i never took you for the paranoid, private to the extreme kind of guy. Sigh, I guess we all have our blindspots...