14.4.05

Jerusalem Corner # 2

So, I was crossing the road about 50 yards from a street corner. I had looked carefully before stepping out and there was not a car in sight. I was halfway across when suddenly a car came around the corner, saw me, and... sped up! I tell you, I DO NOT understand these people! What in the world was going through his mind? I mean, when any American comes around a corner and sees a pedestrian, what does he do INSTINCTIVELY? He steps on the brake! Right? Of course right. That "slow down' gene must be really recessive in the Mediterranean gene pool. Maybe nonexistent.

Or maybe he just assumed that I had enough native intelligence to get out of the way in time. After all, it is his road, not mine- I belong on the sidewalk, and the sooner I get there, the better all 'round.

Same thing happened again tonight, only it was a motorcycle in the dark, and I actually had to run for the sidewalk. I'm afraid I bellowed unkind things about the Israeli race in general to relieve my irritation. But I was instantly repentant when I saw there was a security guard a few yards away. I hope the window of his little hut was closed, or that he didn't speak English. I am sorry Mr. Israeli! I really am glad to be in your country, I love you all, and I think you are lovely! (Just please don't run down visitors; it isn't very good PR!)

1 comment:

brilynne said...

I've discovered that there's a faction in my family that operates on the theory of speeding up to get through tricky situations...maybe this craziness is from a gene that's also come to the surface over in israel....I still have vivid memories of the terror of crossing the street with you. :-)