13.6.05

Joel 2:28 and following

Dear Friends who pray,
Today is Shavuot (Feast of Weeks, 'May Feast', Pentecost). Many of the Jewish people have stayed up all night studying the Law, and this morning walked down to the Western Wall to pray. They are celebrating the giving of the Law. I love the juxtaposition of their celebration with ours: the giving of the law and the coming of the one who causes us to keep the law. It is the anniversary of condemnation (we wouldn't be sinners if there wasn't a law to keep) and then the anniversary of God coming into us to HELP us keep it. What a joyful thought! Wonderful Comforter inside us.
So please pray for them. I am thinking Joel-2:28-and-following sort of thoughts today.

We are going to visit the people who brought our hard drive over, and then we may go to a picnic with Messianic friends. But sometime in there we have to make dinner...timing should be interesting.

[If you were wondering why we are celebrating the feast now, remember that the Jewish calendar is a lunar one. They correct the calendar every so often by throwing in a whole extra month. As Lisa said, this is like letting your car drift way to far, and then wildly over-correcting.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of Shavuot today also, but I was thinking of Zechariah 12:10 sort of thoughts; they go together perhaps.
It was two years ago on the 6th of Sivan we had our D-day of prayer in J'lem and I remember camping out in the Lutheran tower to pray and hear the sermon in bells. Oh, what a day!

Booker said...

Well, hope you had fun. Correction indeed. I have to say I am inline with Lisa's thots on the matter...

TripleNine said...

Hurray for good memories.

Anonymous said...

I concur with brandon's "they go together"... and I relish/savor/treasure the memory of Andrew turning to me in the grey hours of morning and asking "do you know what day it is?" I responded "D Day!" and we then stormed the beaches of J'lem together... Oh, what a day! how exceedingly true!