23.6.05

the last word in names

Okay, today I was looking up Gaelic names and stumbled on a partial answer to something that has always intrigued me- the origin of last names. Last names all have meanings I am told, and many of them are obvious.
Baker,
Tailor,
Adams,
Anderson
are all easy and rather boring. Some are less obvious and thus much more interesting: Pass (ask Brad),
and Pfann are two good examples.
Pfann actually means 'pan' in German. 'Back then' Jewish people in Germany bought names to fit into the culture. If you were rich you got nice names like Goldberg and Sliverbaum. If you were poor, well, you got stuck with Pfann.
But some last names defy explaination.
Shufflebottom.
Demme.
Levarko.
Buttling (thanks Craig, that was extremely funny).
Gilchrist.
That's were a little internet research comes in handy!

You know the those names that have 'gil'in them? Gilchrist, and Gillian are the two that I am familiar with, but I found a number of similar ones-
Gillanders,
Gillbride,
Gillies.
'Gil' means 'servant' or 'follower'.
Thus Gilchrist means 'servant of Christ',
Gillian or Gillean means 'follower of St. John',
Gillanders means 'servant of St. Andrew',
Gillbride means follower of St. Brigid (whoever she was),
and Gillies means 'servant of Jesus'.
(These are actually all newer version of old Gaelic names with completely unintelligable spellings.)
Isn't that cool?

I also discovered that Macbeth come from the earlier spelling Machbeatha and means 'son of life'. Nice.

10 comments:

wideyed said...

Do you know the meanings of the names Jereboam and Reheboam? (er...sp.?) They have popped up in our family Bible readings, and we were just wondering.

Anonymous said...

okay, so now I'm officially offended! Demme, my foot! except I'm too tired to rant effectively so I guess I'll simply settle for forgiveness...

Kate said...

good grief Demme! I wasn't saying I didn't like the name, only that I thought that to trace the origins of it would be difficult!

Anonymous said...

Rehoboam means "the people is enlarged" and Jeroboam means "the people will contend."

Pretty appropriate, when you think of the story of those two in opposition.

Good old e-sword!

Lisa

TripleNine said...

Thank goodness for names like Jones. Simple and boring, even more so than Smith.

Booker said...

Do I hear an "amen" from the congregation on that one? Let me hear it bruthah!!!

Laughter said...

*Yawn*

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Um, pardon my thick headedness, but what's the obvious meaning of Adams? I got the others. Those were obvious.

Kate said...

'Awsome' of course!

Actually I assumed it was a shortened form of 'Adam's son'. I actually haven't looked it up.

Anonymous said...

If Kate's premise is correct, then everyone's REAL last name is...
Adams!

Unless you get theological, like Joseph Demme did after he got baptized...and began signing his name, "Joseph Demme God." Got the right family!

Lisa