18.6.05

The Joy of Mindy

No, pink isn't really 'me', but I was getting tired of black.

So this morning I was looking up the word for joy on e-sword and I discovered an interesting thing: most of the Hebrew words related to joy derive from actions. That means that the root words for things like joy, rejoice, exult, and be glad all come from these action words- 'to be bright', 'to shine', 'to spring', 'to leap', 'shouting', and 'to go in a circle'. I love that last one! It means 'to dance in a circle'. (evidence that they danced the hora back then?)

This all reminded me of an argument that Mindy and I had in Bible School. I was anticipating something exciting and happy in my life but she was't sure that I was really as excited as I said I was. After all, I wasn't acting excited. If you were truly excited and happy you would squeal and jump around and smile all the time, right? I rolled my eyes in disgust and firmly told her that you could be just as deeply excited and happy inside and not show it on the outside.
She was not convinced.
Of course I was right, right?
Nobody won the argument, of course.

But somehow when I think of Mindy in heaven, all those active words come to mind to describe her unspeakable joy- Mindy shines with joy, she bounces through heaven for joy with shouts of praise, with joyful laughter Mindy dances before her King...
Few people in my life have given me a greater example of what it meant to be joyful in life and I can only imagine her joy now.

I can't argue with her now and I don't want to; I just hope and trust that God will give me the kind of joy that causes me to sing, to dance, to shout uninhibited praise to my King.

7 comments:

drewey fern said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
drewey fern said...

Katie Dear this is a beautiful post. Thank you for writing it. A lot of my happiest memories of Mindy have to do with just this kind of thing - her spontaneous and contagious and always externalized joy. She definitely had an impact on my life along these lines. I have been more like that as a direct result of having known her - and in some ways, because of her influence in that way, I feel like Elisha picking up the mantle of Elijah (I am probably speaking for many Elishas). But Elisha got 2X, didn't he? And I could never out-do her:) And how much more now...

Claire said...

Thanks for reminding us of Mindy...it's so nice to keep our friends (who have moved to the other side of the door) present in our minds and present in our love.

Anonymous said...

warning: this comment is extremely carnal...
so after being touched deeply by the author's post, and the commenter's comments I am left wondering "what in tarnation was removed by the author?!"

Anonymous said...

so now that that is off my chest... amazing post! and I am reminded of a certain friend who danced with me in Jerusalem the morning another friend conquered his mount...

drewey fern said...

sorry that was me - typed my comment and found a type-o...

Anonymous said...

ahhh... thanks! now all my concerns are laid in the ditch alongside the road of my insanity