29.6.05

What is the problem?

There seems to be a rash of animal encounters in our little circle these days- I wonder what the connection is, or the spiritual significance. Any suggestions?

This morning I woke up earlier than I wanted to after late night #4 (at least). I woke up because somebody was thumping around out in the living room and I couldn't figure out why. I lay in my bed listening in a passive and fuzzy irritation. The noise settled into a rhythmic set of thumps and then stopped. I got up and opened the door.

Coming down the hall toward me was Yum-yum, Warrior Princess, dragging a limp and very dead pigeon. I must have been really fuzzy-brained because she was several feet away and dragging an bird as big as herself, but she still managed to get into our room before I thought about closing the door. She dragged it under Lisa's bed for safekeeping.

I turned around and said something highly intelligent to poor Lisa, still mostly asleep. "Umm, Yum-yum just dragged a dead pigeon under your bed." That woke her up.

I started to wake up a bit more myself as I get dressed.
Why is Yum-yum in our apartment?
Did she kill it inside the house?
Is this some sort of sick practical joke on the part of my dear next-door neighbor?
I am going to personally KILL that beast myself!
I HATE FERRETS.


By the time I had gathered myself together Yum-yum had dragged her prey even farther under the bed, leaving a trail of blood. I gingerly pulled it out with one hand, holding it by the wing, grabbed Yum-yum with the other and headed for the door.

I must have been an interesting sight on my neighbor's doorstep- bleary-eyed and in a nasty mood, with a dead pigeon in one hand and a ferret in the other. When Mrs. Pfann opened the door there was that second of shocked silence before she could think of something to say.

Mr. Pfann had come over earlier to get something from the office, and Yum-yum had followed him. But she had certainly not had a pigeon then. Where does one come up with a live pigeon in a house completely closed up for the night?

Well, we disposed of the thing and I went home. Avcouple hours later when people really started waking up the crime investigation began. Mr. Pfann was of course vastly amused and proud of his pet. He and Steve (not a Pfann. This one is a guest of the Pfanns and a forensic scientist) walked up and down the hall looking for blood spots, feathers, open windows, or anything that might shed light on the mystery. Finally the story was pieced together:

We were gone all day yesterday, but an upstairs window must have been open enough to let a pigeon in. They do live in the eaves of the house. It came down the stairs (evidenced by droppings) and took refuge underneath a wicker bookcase in the living room. It stayed there all night (lots of droppings). In comes Yum-yum this morning and the poor bird had not a chance. The thumping noise I had heard was Yum-yum finishing it off underneath the bookcase (lots of blood).

At this point I felt yucky and sat down. Braver souls and tougher stomachs took over to clean up the crime scene with bleach and plastic gloves.

But bloodlust has taken hold. Mr. Pfann and Steve (forensic guy) were discussing the possibily of arranging the next killing so that Steve could film it. Maybe leave the window open on purpose?

Over my dead body.
Or at least not before I leave.

6 comments:

Mrs. RF said...

I just related this tale to Mr. RF and he laughed! I don't think I would have been laughing though! Yuck! Not a good thing to find in one's house!

Mo said...

What is it with animals lately anyway? Last week, I found a giant (not really) spider sitting on my elbow, and it scared me so much that I dislocated my shoulder!

Silas said...

I got attacked by a heard of goats yesterday; if that helps.

melrandall said...

I was just watching "Jurassic Park" on tv before I read this, and it took me a little while to stop picturing Yum-Yum as some sort of velociraptor. What a tale!

Claire said...

I love the part about the "passive and fuzzy irritation"...and how you woke Lisa up by telling her there was a dead bird under her bed dragged there by a ferret. HOW BIZARRELY HILARIOUS! I know these things are not funny at the time but just think- what a great post it made!

Anonymous said...

No, it was a harrowing start to the day!

Fortunately, it was all over soon...and I was already commanding Kate to include it in her next blog.

Lisa